Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Day 71 - Bread and Salt Bombs - Ugh.

Last night I saw a container of noodle soup that I'd made for my husband while he was sick over the weekend still sitting in our fridge as I was poking around looking for dinner.

So as to "not waste it", I decided that instead of  'blasting my dinner, I'd have some of that soup--AND a couple slices of a nice Tuscan Boule (that's a fancy bread, in case you didn't recognize it) with butter.

UGH!

That was a typical meal for me in the recent past, except that often instead of a slice or two of bread, I'd have the whole loaf.  After all, they're small.  :-)

I need to remember the next time I have such a brilliant idea how GROSS I'll feel afterward.  I can't believe how many years I spent eating like that, yet not making the connection between that and my huge, bloated belly, my aching joints, and the fact that I usually felt like a piece of crap in general.  Actually, I think I just didn't *want* to make that connection.  Eating that crap was my solace after a stressful day at work.  Whenever anything was eating me, I'd eat crap.

This morning, I woke up with a salt/bread hangover.  I didn't even pig out--I had one bowl of that (nasty, salty, packaged, processed-beyond-belief) noodle soup and just the 2 slices of bread.  And I felt ok about it because I *planned* consciously to eat it, and I ate normal portions.  But that didn't matter--I still felt awful afterward and this morning.

I guess I've started training this ol' bod to crave better treatment.  That's a big victory!

I got up today determined to (a) remember this lesson, and (b) go right back to eating the GOOD stuff.  So here's what I made for breakfast:

Mmmmmmm ... chock-full o' goodness!

Isn't it beautiful before it blends?

The end result


Recipe:
  • Spinach - 1 C
  • Cherry tomatoes - 8
  • Zucchini - 4 slices
  • Orange - 1/2
  • Bartlett pear (1)
  • Pineapple - 1 spear
  • Sunflower seeds - 1T
  • Chlorella - 1/2 t
  • Apple juice to max line
  •  Frozen red grapes just to make it colder
I try to get at least 3 veggies into every morning 'Blast.  It's no trouble at all getting the fruits in.  And I always try to either add a protein source (hemp seeds, chia seeds, maca powder, sunflower seeds, etc) or eat something in addition to the NutriBlast to get the protein and some good fat in, like a hard-boiled egg or a slice of turkey.

This was the first time I've used Chlorella.  My sister recommended it after reading about its benefits.  Just 1 teaspoon is all you need.

After that great start, I had 2 slices of turkey breast on half a flax whole wheat lavash bread spread with avocado for lunch.  I snacked on pumpkin seeds.

Then for dinner I made an orange-themed 'Blast that I'd looked forward all day.  I had visions of creamsicles dancing in my head.  I put in:
  • Oikos Orange Greek Yogurt
  • 1 orange
  • 1/2 orange bell pepper
  • 5 grape tomatoes
  • Baby carrots
  • 1 spear pineapple
  •  1/2 T maca powder
  • Almond milk, unsweetened, to the Max line
When I tasted it, though, instead of a creamsicle, it tasted like tomatoes and carrots.  So I added a whole Bartlett pear and a handful of frozen grapes.

The end result was very pretty, but still nothing to write home about.  I guess if I hadn't been expecting it to be sweet, I would have liked it better.  But I still drank it--it was just palatable enough to escape the label "Nasty Blast" that my sisters and I have come up with to describe our "mistakes"!




No comments:

Post a Comment