Sunday, September 8, 2013

Day 35 - Back from Another Little Break

This past Thursday-Saturday I took my mom to her 62nd high school reunion.  It was a little over 4 hours from home, so we got a hotel for the 2 nights.

I decided not to bring my NutriBullet and just to see if I could "eat normally" on my own.

On the way down, we stopped for dinner at Wendy's.  I had a chicken patty on flatbread with a spicy sauce; I thought that would be a healthier choice for me than a burger, because fast food burgers set off all kinds of cravings for me.  Turns out it had just 30 calories less than the 1/4-lb burgers Mom and Gail had, but it seemed healthier.  (And I had no fries and no Frosty). 

The 2nd day, I had a Kind bar for breakfast and some grapes and peanuts to snack on while Mom and Gail were at the reunion.

That night we went out to dinner at a nice restaurant.  I ordered baked haddock and rice pilaf with a salad to start.  I had 2 small slices of homemade bread with butter before the food came and ordered tea to drink.  I put real sugar in the tea because I'm avoiding all fake sweeteners now.  We had no dessert.  I considered this meal a victory--much better choices than I'd have made in the past.

The last morning, we went driving around in Maine shopping a bit.  We stopped at a candy store called Yummies that advertised "10,000 pounds of candy on display".  I got out of there with just a small bag of chocolate-covered sunflower seeds.  Mom bought a bunch of saltwater taffy.  I had her throw in some extra chocolate ones, which I ate on the way back to the hotel.

Then on our way home, we stopped for pizza.  I hadn't had any pizza in a few weeks and really felt like some.  But Mom, Gail and I split a 12-inch (small) pizza--and it was GOOD!  We felt good about limiting ourselves that way.  And none of us bought any of the AMAZING looking pastries in that place ourselves.  (We did bring my brother home a whoopie pie that was about 8" across, though!)

Finally, when we were just 1.5 hours away from home on Saturday evening, we stopped at Friendly's.  I planned to have a Jim Dandy, which is one of their biggest sundaes.  It normally has 5 scoops of ice cream, but they're smaller than the normal "scoop".  I asked for "just 4" scoops.  And then I enjoyed the HECK out of that thing!

I see a bit of a pattern here, similar to when we went to Maine for vacation a few weeks ago.  I do very well at the beginning and then get more relaxed toward the end.  I think that may be because I *am* on vacation, and I figure if I make good choices 80% of the time, it's okay if I have a few treats toward the end.

Oh--almost forgot.  Gail and I made a real effort to get steps in even while we were away.  We went out one evening after dinner and walked loops around the hotel parking lot to crank up our step counts.  And I walked the parking lots at both Wendy's and the pizza stop, too.  That's all new behavior.

I've finally gotten to the point where sitting still for too long makes me a little crazy--I feel the NEED to get up and walk.  That's exciting!!

I gained 1 lb over the trip.  I expected the gain to be a bit higher, so I was pleased with that.  Need to work toward gaining NOTHING on vacation.

Today I had a NutriBlast with 4 veggies and 2 fruits plus apple juice for breakfast.  I had another one with Greek yogurt, almond milk, fresh strawberries, orange, and grapes in the afternoon.  In between I went grocery shopping.  I was hungry while shopping so I had a banana.  My husband ordered a pizza for his dinner.  It had just green peppers and mushrooms on it.  I didn't plan to have any, but I ended up having a tiny slice--just one!  And tonight for a snack I had a few more of those pita crackers--probably 2 servings, which is 12 crackers.  All in all, it was a successful day.

Tomorrow I plan to work at my office so I can go to the gym (gym and office share a parking lot).

Have a good week, everybody!


No comments:

Post a Comment